Monday, June 12, 2006

Of Baseball and Cultural Differences

I went to my first baseball game in 10 years yesterday. At the school I work at, students who accumulated less than 3 demerits for the whole year, as well as the homeroom with the fewest demerits, got to go to see a Paw Sox game on the school's bill. I chaperoned. I had a fun time, and I got to hang out with kids that I don't normally see that much. I did get the traditional hot dog and Cracker Jack. On the same sports note, the USA plays today in the World Cup. This is the situation I find myself in: A. I am an American. I was born in America, and I follow American culture. B. Girlfriend is English. She was born in England and only moved here 6 months ago. I will be going to England for the majority of the World Cup. C. My father is 100% Portuguese. Although he was born in the US, he was raised in a traditional Portuguese household. He has become very American-ized, though. Who in God's name do I root for? Of course, I'm pulling for the USA team primarily. But I'm come to the understanding that most likely, the USA team will not be making it out of the group stages. When that time comes, do I root for the English and follow the whole "When in ROme..." train of thought, or go with my cultural background, and root for the Portuguese? I know, there are much more important things in this world to worry about, but I'm trivial like that. My bud Kara has a blog. Go check it out.
Comments:
woooo hooo

that's me!
 
Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link



<< Home
Google
Web klbdstuff.blogspot.com
kinkylilblackdress.blogspot.com