Friday, June 30, 2006

UK Bloggin' - Eccles Pike

With Girlfriend working during the day, I have spent a lot of time with her parents, watching tv, and catching up on crochet. I think the 'rents have noticed I was going a little stirr crazy, so they asked me if I wanted to go for a drive to Eccles' Pike. I do enjoy a drive in the country, so I hopped in the car, and off we went. Eccles' Pike is on the tippity top of one of the larger hills in the area. Girlfriend lives in a valley, so we are surrounded by these peak. T & L, (Girlfriend's parents) spent the next hour pointing out places of importance in their lives, their parents lives, and even in Girlfriend's life. I got to see really how small the towns are here, and how certain villages are growing more than others. One of the things that I've always loved about going to this part of England, is that everything is so vibrantly green. There are so many shades, dotted with white sheep and the occasional grey mule. All the farms are separated with hedge-rows (yes, I do occasionally get Stairway to Heaven stuck in my head). There was a storm rolling in this afternoon, so you really couldn't see much of a blue sky. At the top of Eccle's Pike, there is this metal sculpture called the "topography". If you stand in the center of if, and look in a certain direction, it explains to you what you are looking at. It has both carved in illustrations of the countryside, as well as town names. I thought it was pretty nifty, myself. The landscape hasn't changed much in the time this sculpture has been in the ground, that's for sure. Here's a close up of a few spots on the sculpture. The images are click-able for a better view.
Comments:
That topography thing is cool.. I wanna go to the UK!
 
Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link



<< Home
Google
Web klbdstuff.blogspot.com
kinkylilblackdress.blogspot.com