Monday, July 10, 2006

UK Bloggin' - Plague Village

Eyam (pronounced "Eem") is a small village about an hour away from where I'm staying. The village is best known for being the "plague village" that chose to isolate itself when the Black Death was found in the village in August 1665, rather than see the infection travel further north. So when Girlfriend's Dad asked me if I wanted to stop there on the way back from Chatsworth House, I said "YES!". As we went through the town, the houses had plaques on them, describing who lived in the house during the plague, who survived, and who didn't. The funny thing is, these houses are inhabited now. So as we "ooo"ed and "ahhh"ed over lists of dead people, these residents were having a BBQ in their front garden. We wondered through the town for a bit, when we came onto a rather old looking church. It was open to the public, so Girlfriend and I popped in for a looksie. I'm a sucker for stained glass and religious history, so I was in my element. Although about half way through the time we had inside, we found a sign that said "No photos, please", we did manage to snap a few shots. Don't worry, we left a sizable donation in the collections box to apologize for the picture-taking. Here are my favorite images out of the collection. Click the thumbnails for larger images.
Comments:
I'm so glad you got to visit Eyem - I showed a video about this as part of the science curriculum on bacteria. I've never been - I'm jealous. Sounds like you are having fun!
 
Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link



<< Home
Google
Web klbdstuff.blogspot.com
kinkylilblackdress.blogspot.com