Thursday, August 10, 2006

The Big One

In case you haven't heard, British authorities have thrawted a major plot to blow up trans-atlantic flights leaving the UK. According to MSNBC.com, it was supposed to take place close to the 5 year anniversary of September 11th. It involved 10 planes, and they were supposed to explode simuntaneously. The plot targeted flights on United, Continental, American, and British Airways. US officials are calling this the "Big One". Emma and her Grandmother are scheduled to fly one of those airlines, from England, to a major hub in the USA, on September 2nd. I've never had any problems with extra security measures. Today, you can't have any carry-on items, except perscription drugs, baby formula, and juice for small children. These items need to be carried onto the plane in a transparent plastic bag. No electronics at all, no beverages, no books or newspapers, no makeup or hair products, no toothpaste. All of these things need to go into your checked baggage, or the trash. It looks like that the lines are massive, but the folks seem to be understanding. I've been flying for years now. Emma flew 3 weeks after September 11th. I think I'm more nervous now than I was then. Just now, it came across the tv that there was an attempted hijacking of a Qatar Airways flight that has been foiled. Al Jazeera interviewed the people on the plane, and were told that the individual was mentally disabled, and that in fact, it might not have been an actual hijacking attempt. Just another thing to worry about on this chaotic day.
Comments:
I thought about you and Emma immediately when I read the story this AM.

It is a scary thing.

Last week, when we went to California, my lighters were confiscated in Philly-okay two of them were, but one somehow got through and they were all in the same bag.

Flight home, lighter got through on my carry on bag (why I didn't put it in the checked bag, I don't know), however my daughter's V-tech toy had to be swabbed for explosive materials.

Also, one of our checked bags was randomly selected for TSA inspection-all that was in it was dirty clothing-nothing else at all, but cloth. Go figure that out.
 
It makes me so sad that peace is so elusive and there are so many destructive people who wil stop at nothing to achieve whatever it is they want. I'm not even sure I know what they want anymore :(
 
What I'm afraid of is that THEY don't even know what they want.
 
Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link



<< Home
Google
Web klbdstuff.blogspot.com
kinkylilblackdress.blogspot.com