Monday, August 14, 2006

I'm Moving.

I've waited to publish this decision until after I had talked with my family, but now I'm able to let my readers know. I'm moving to England. When I spent time with Emma this summer, she let me know that she did not want to return to school in the States. Things were going too well for her at home in the UK, and it made more sense for her to remain at home. Since I have been unhappy with my job for a while, it seemed to make sense to move in with her and her family, and save for a home of our own. It makes much more sense on so many levels. Here, Emma had to spend close to $10K a year for tutition and healthcare in order to remain in the country. At home, she gets free healthcare, and has a job making close to $40K a year. Although I am set with a job at the school I am working with, I've hit my limit as far as promotions go. I'd need to go to college for another 2-3 years in order to make the kind of money that would allow me to live as independently as I'd like to. In the UK, the job market is rather open for me. As far as the UK laws go, it is much easier for a homosexual couple to live. We can get married, adopt kids, have a house in both our names, have partner benifits, everything that a married hetero couple in the US can have. Now, don't get me wrong. The UK isn't all sunshine and roses. I have to go through the visa process in order to live there legally. The healthcare system is less skillful than what I am used to. I see my doc about every 3 months here in the States, and I've had the same one since I was about 16. There is this whole "Big Brother" thing about the UK, with all the ID cards, video cameras, and tv cards that kind of freaks me out. Then, there is the whole aspect of leaving my family. Although they are all in good health, there is always the worry that something will happen. I'll miss them like crazy. I've decided to begin a new blog about the process and how I'm dealing with it. Feel free to come and comment, and whatnot. Sarah Moves to England
Comments:
It's a big move, but you should like you've thought it all through and made an informed decision. And while it's hard to be away from family, the U.K. is not the moon; planes fly regularly and all that stuff. Good luck with it!
 
I am guessing it went okay with your family?
 
What a tough decision you made. You won't be completely away from family as you will have Emma.

When Tony and I got together we lived in Washington by his family, a few years later we moved to California by my family. It might as well be two seperate countries as we see his family once every few years. It had to be one or the other, though. There are compromises in relationships.

I hope you find what you are looking for in the UK. That is very important. You can always try it...that really is what life is, right?

I agree with you, no sense staying in a job you aren't happy with, missing Emma. It might be easier to be with Emma and find a job you like and miss your family.
 
You know I really like that you thought this whole process out. I'm really happy with your decision to be with Emma. Love doesn't come easy, and when you find true love you have to work at it. Sometimes that means moving as well.

I hope that your Mom & Dad took the decision well. I am sure that they will miss you, but now it will be more fun when you get to visit, and visa versa.

Hugs to you Sarah, Emma, and your terrific decision to be with the one that you love. :)
 
Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link



<< Home
Google
Web klbdstuff.blogspot.com
kinkylilblackdress.blogspot.com